Tuesday, February 3, 2009

2/3/09

I brought KD to the hospital today to get all kinds of stuff. After his shot of Ativan, he wasn't very concerned about much (see previous about how fun Lorazepam is). Lumbar puncture went well (still very eeew!). Then a shot of chemo. And a few IV drips of chemo. And he came away from there (very groggy) with a prescription for chemo in pill form too. So we are in full swing for this next cycle.

The pill he's got has listed side effects that include nausea and hair loss, so we may see a bit of that happening. He's on that pill for 14 days. And he's got the schlep in to Shands pretty much every week day also for a shot and an assortment of other pokes and prods and taunts. 

Kunti was able to bring him home finally this afternoon because I had to go to the office, and by the time I got home at 4, KD was capable of uttering about three sentences before passing out completely in his chair. I finally coaxed him into lurching off to bed so he didn't have to sit there looking like an uncomfortable mannequin. But one time I went in to check on him, I swear to god his eyes were mostly open and crazy looking. I actually woke him up to make sure he was still alive. Talk about heart palpitations!

He's pretty much a zombie tonight. I don't know how I'm going to roll him out of bed and talk him into going out in the cold to get yet another shot tomorrow morning. And I've been sneezing and snuffling all day and really shouldn't even be in the same room with him because his complete lack of immune system. I may have to put him in the truck when we drive anywhere so as not to infect him with my flu. Yuckers. It's like the Night of the Living Dead around here ... brains! brains! We want your brains!

Anyhow, you gotta laugh or you'll cry. An update on the jokes posted next to the 4th floor elevator:
What do you find shivering at the bottom of the ocean?
A nervous wreck!
**bad-dum-BING!**
Thank you ladies and gentlemen. I'll be here all week. Make sure to tip your waitress! Good night! You're beautiful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work with KD. It was truly sad to see the amount of torture one must endure in the name of getting well. Like you, I have watched the horror of Cancer of a loved one and felt helpless to do anything to make it go away. My best advice to you is to not completely bury yourself in his sickness and to find distractions to escape to once in awhile so you do not lose who you are. That is vitally important. I wish both of you the best in getting through this.

Marilyn Williams