Wednesday, March 4, 2009

3/4/09

Synchronous diaphragmatic flutter.

In English, that's a hiccup

I woke up this morning to the sounds of KD trying to be quiet while hiccuping. It was a cross between a surprised pig and the vacuous giggling of a sorority sister. And it did not STOP!

Poor KD has been hiccuping on and off all day. I dropped him off for his shot and was glad for the silence. (Of course, I was promptly hassled by the campus cops for "following too closely" .. but come on.. at 20 mps, what could happen? Anyway...) Fortunately his mom was able to pick him up after and drop him home. And more fortunately, I stayed at the office until the evening. Not to be mean, but I really want to sneak up and break something just to scare him into stopping. It's hugely annoying.

Oddly enough he does stop hiccuping when playing his guitar or watching TV. But the second that TV gets clicked off, up comes that first hiccup. 

To add insult to suffering, the clinic nurses said it might be indigestion from what he's been eating. Which is only what I've been cooking. I'm not about to claim excessive skills in the kitchen. But after fourteen years of eating my cooking, if it was that bad ... well ... okay he's been diagnosed with diabetes ... and leukemia. So maybe it is my cooking that's driving him over the edge. Who'da thunkit?

In case anyone missed yesterday's post and is too lazy to scroll down for the full explanation, KD's bone marrow biopsy came back with zero percent cancer saturation. Which means all of this chemo is doing its job. His bone marrow is now fresh and clean and ready for action. They are next going to focus on the spinal fluid since the highest risk of relapse in his type of leukemia comes from undetected cells lurking there. That's the space around the spinal column and brain with all kinds of little nooks and crannies to hide in. 

Anywho, the house is quiet for the moment because KD went off to see some of the boys from the band. I hope the hiccups are gone soon or I may have to soundproof his room and lock him in there. No! Of course I wouldn't do that! Hee hee hee

No comments: