Friday, January 23, 2009

1/23/09

Talk about controlled chaos! Today was an insane rush of last minute cleaning, schlepping, and running around. I got the word at 9:30 that there were going to actually release KD today at 1:00. Yikes! I thought I had another week to get the house ready, but no... so i called in the Mom Calvary and they came over to Mom-bomb the place while I went to spring the guy from his medical prison. 

Yesterday when they said they were thinking about letting him out early, I only half-believed them. You know how hospitals are. They can go for days *thinking* about it. But nope ... I showed up and they were getting ready to kick him out of the nest. Can I tell you how much stuff I had to drag out of the hospital and load up into the car? Well it was a lot. In the end, I even had to make him carry his own guitar because sadly I still only have two arms.

As we made the long march down the BMTU hallway, we were expecting to be tackled by a nurse or two before we made it to the big double doors. Surely this was a mistake! But as we rounded the bend and nervously crossed the threshold past the nurses station, they made an announcement over the PA... "Attention, Krishna McClellan is being discharged."  A wonderful round of applause from the nurses and others loitering in the halls ... and then we were free!

Well, not so fast. Yes, we have to go back. But this is the first milestone and one of the most significant. KD's blood-work showed he is rebounding at a meteoric rate. Much better than average. He still is. That's not to say he's better. He still gets out of breath from walking around the house. He still is very tired and weak. And his white blood cell count is still so low he has to wear a mask in any public place. He's still on all kinds of pills, and a restricted diet. He can have visitors here at home, but no one who is sick or has been recently exposed to things like chickenpox. Yada yada. So there are still rules :-P

We go back Monday for the first day of out-patient treatment. The schedule is a series of chemo cycles that last for a total of seven months. And then two years of maintenance and checking to be sure it's gone for real.

If you'd like to visit, let us know. (We're up on the northeast side of town near Satchels and Bishop Middle School.) KD got his cell phone (352-871-6263), or you can get the house line at 352-264-9662. When he feels up to it, he'll be getting online again. He would like to say thanks for all of the support, and I'll add a big sloppy wet kiss to that ... *mwah*!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Still has a nice smile on his face. So brave. I would be a mess. I am glad I found this blog on your mom's facebook. My mom just told me this week about KD. I was very suprised and sad to hear the news but again he looks good in the pic.

p.s On a whole other note, Radhu you have a great writing styl. Ever think of being an author?

Unknown said...

Sorry it is posting moms account. It's Shrav.