Saturday, April 4, 2009

4/4/09

Yes I've been a slacker about blogging lately. This also the first year in ages that I'm doing my tax return in April. I'm the anal retentive type that normally mails that sucker off at the soonest possible second.

'Normal' being the operative word, I guess. Normal is not normal anymore. My computer's screen saver is photos from our lives (since I got my first digital camera), and it rotates through three years of family events, outings, birthdays, random dog and cat pictures, and those weird pictures you don't know why you took but don't want to delete in case you want to see them some day.

I came in to check my email earlier and a photo of KD was up on the screen. Probably from two years ago after swimming at the springs. KD was just sitting there, smiling off camera. And he had this thick black hair! It freaked me out. I was seriously like "WTF?" (yes, too much time online lately... starting to think in 'chat'). I'm not used to that stuff anymore. I'm used to his fuzzy head now. It's disorienting.

Normal has definitely changed around here, yes. There was actually a two day gap between chemo cycles where KD was off every single pill. He had a hard time getting up in the morning, having breakfast, and NOT TAKING PILLS! OMG!

So far the radiation treatments have been simple and straightforward (a little creepy because of the weird machine). But KD has definitely felt the side effects. He's increasingly tired. And his tummy is totally upset. Not classic nausea. Just upset. And not at all hungry.  Which for him is totally bizarre. 

Next week is daily radiation again, and on Tuesday another lumbar puncture on top of that. It's incredibly awkward that he's also got to drive all the flipping way to Jacksonville to renew his green card on the same day he's scheduled for a lumbar puncture. Talk about having to weigh the priorities. (Yes, we can juggle the schedule, but you know how hard it is to add something more when you're juggling too much already.)

KD was bored enough to venture out into the real world Friday though. He went to lunch with friends from work before his radiation appointment. It was nice for him to hang out with normal people (not TOO normal of course). It seems like there is a real life to return to after this circus has packed up and left town. There is life after cancer. 

No comments: